[Python-ideas] docs.python.org

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Oct 27 13:43:48 CEST 2012

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 12:06:41 +0100
Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Another idea is similar, but instead of doing /2.x/ always redirect the
> > the root of docs.python.org to the latest production release, so
> > right now /foo would redirect to /2.7/foo. This is even better for
> > maintaining links to the actual resource people meant to link
> > to. Could even include a header at the top of old versions saying that
> > "You are currently viewing the docs for 2.5. Click here to view the
> > docs for 2.7".
>
> -1. Certainly what I (and I suspect many others) usually care about is
> getting at the "Python 2" or "Python 3" documentation, not a specific
> version. Having the 2.7, 2.6 links is fine, but I don't *think* of
> myself as going to the 2.7 docs, but rather to the 2.x docs (as
> opposed to 3.x). The "New in x.y" annotations give me the history I
> need. And I think that's true of links as well - they would be to
> "python 2" or "python 3", not (normally) to a specific minor version.

I'm not sure why you're -1 about something which wouldn't affect you
negatively.  As you say yourself, the 2.7 docs have all the information
you need about previous releases as well (because of the versionadded
and versionchanged markers). *However*, the 2.6 and previous docs don't
have information about useful stuff added in 2.7.

And since 2.7 is the last in the 2.x line, I think it makes sense to
reflect that explicitly in the redirections.

Regards

Antoine.