[Python-ideas] Async API: some code to review

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Oct 30 19:10:10 CET 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Richard Oudkerk <shibturn at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30/10/2012 4:40pm, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>
>> What kind of time savings are we talking about? I imagine that the
>> accept() loop I put in tulip/echosvr.py is fast enough in terms of
>> response time (latency) -- throughput would seem the more important
>> measure (and I have no idea of this yet).
>> http://code.google.com/p/tulip/source/browse/echosvr.py#37

> With Windows overlapped I/O I think you can get substantially better
> throughput by starting many AcceptEx() calls in parallel.  (For bonus points
> you can also recycle the accepted connections using DisconnectEx().)

Hm... I already have on my list that the transports should probably be
platform dependent. So this would suggest that the standard accept
loop should be abstracted as a method on the transport object, right?

> Even so, Windows socket code always seems to be much slower than the
> equivalent on Linux.

Is this Python sockets code or are you also talking about other
languages, like C++?

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)