[Python-ideas] Add annotations to global statement

Mike Graham mikegraham at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 15:26:16 CEST 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Alexandre Bosc <Athelopuce at gmx.fr> wrote:
> I think the annotations of parameters and  return value of a function, a
> useful practice for the user of the function.
> As a function can modify or create global variables, and as it's important
> for the end user,   I would appreciate to add annotations in the global
> statement.
>
> An  annotation syntax similar to that of parameters  could be employed :
>
>     global var : expression
>     global var1 : expression1, var2 : expression2,...
>

> cheers,
>
> Alex (geoscience modeler)

I cannot think of a case where having this feature would be of real
help making a well-designed Python program.

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Rob Cliffe <rob.cliffe at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Just to clarify:
>
> Are you proposing that
>     global var : expression
> is equivalent to
>     global var
>     var = expression
> ?
>
> If so, wouldn't the syntax
>     global var = expression
> be more readable?
> Rob Cliffe

I believe the suggestion is that the expression becomes metadata
associated with the name var. Are you familiar with function
annotations, with which the parallel was drawn?
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3107/

Mike