[Python-ideas] bdist naming scheme (compatibility tags) PEP

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 20:17:08 CEST 2012

>> Platform Tag
>> ------------
>>
>> The platform tag is simply `distutils.util.get_platform()` with all
>> hyphens `-` and periods `.` replaced with underscore `_`.
>
> This part is going to cause problems. distutils is good at identifying
> Linux and Windows and giving them sensible platform names, but it
> doesn't do a good job for other OSes.

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0425/

I've updated this part of the PEP with some examples of
get_platform(), and have simplified the "list of supported tags"
section by removing the "all older versions of Python with the same
major version" logic from the PEP. It is still allowed, but it is not
needed in the PEP.

I would love to expound on the correct implementation of
get_platform() for all major platforms. I do not know anything about
the other platforms. A BSD and OSX expert will necessarily have to
write that part of the specification.

Daniel Holth

(If you think the list of supported tags is long, go read about the
Google spell-correct algorithm that pre-computes every spelling
mistake for every word so it can tell you which correctly spelled word
is the closest to your typo)