[Python-ideas] asyncore: included batteries don't fit

Josiah Carlson josiah.carlson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 02:02:08 CEST 2012

Temporarily un-lurking to reply to this thread (which I'll actually be reading).

Giampaolo and I talked about this for a bit over the weekend, and I
have to say that I agree with his perspective.

In particular, to get something better than asyncore, there must be
something minimally better to build upon. I don't really have an
opinion on what that minimally better thing should be named, but I do
agree that having a simple reactor API that has predictable behavior
over the variety of handlers (select, poll, epoll, kqueue, WSAEvent in
Windows, etc.) is necessary.

Now, let's get to brass tacks...

1. Whatever reactors are available, you need to be able to instantiate
multiple of different types of reactors and multiple instances of the
same type of reactor simultaneously (to support multiple threads
handling different groups of reactors, or different reactors for
different types of objects on certain platforms). While this allows
for insanity in the worst-case, we're all consenting adults here, so
shouldn't be limited by reactor singletons. There should be a default
reactor class, which is defined on module/package import (use the
"best" one for the platform).

2. The API must be simple. I am not sure that it can get easier than
Idea #3 from:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2012-May/015245.html
I personally like it because it offers a simple upgrade path for
asyncore users (create your asyncore-derived classes, pass it into the
new reactor), while simultaneously defining a relatively easy API for
any 3rd party to integrate with. By offering an easy-to-integrate
method for 3rd parties (that is also sane), there is the added bonus
that 3rd parties are more likely to integrate, rather than replace,
which means more use in the "real world", better bug reports, etc. To
simplify integration further, make the API register(fd, handler,
events=singleton). Passing no events from the caller means "register
me for all events", which will help 3rd parties that aren't great with
handling read/write registration.

3. I don't have a 3rd tack, you can hang things on the wall with 2 ;)

Regards,
 - Josiah