[Python-ideas] bdist naming scheme (compatibility tags) PEP

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 17:29:18 CEST 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 September 2012 15:53, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't dispute this, but I'm not sure how the PEP should reflect
> this. Regardless, if distinguishing UCS2 vs UCS4 matters, the PEP
> should clarify how to do so.

ABIs ending with u use UCS4, and the dmu suffixes always appear in
that order. Should go into the pep.

py27dmu py27du py27mu cp33dm cp33d cp33m

>> Just let an exact match be the only kind of match. Then there is no parsing.
>
> I can see that argument, but to me it makes documenting (and
> understanding!) what an implementation/installer is saying when it
> lists the tags it will accept quite difficult. Maybe I'm just being
> dense :-)

Maybe we just need to attach a reference implementation to the PEP.

>> The implementation tag is there because packages may have different
>> requirements based on the implementation and version based on if:
>> statements in setup.py. Maybe you use cp3 or py3 when you have added
>> conditional requirements a-la Requries-Dist: argparse; python_version
>> < 2.6 in PKG-INFO?
>
> I'm sorry, that doesn't make any sense to me.

When you use the py2 or py3 tags, it would ideally also communicate a
promise "this code does not produce a different list of requirements
based on the build Python".