[Python-ideas] file API

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Sep 28 01:56:35 CEST 2012

On 28/09/12 06:00, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Also you can't express lseek()'s "relative to end of file" mode using
> the proposed API. -1 on the whole thing.

For what it's worth, there was extensive discussion on comp.lang.python that
eventually decided that while you could express all the various invocations
of seek using file.pos, at best you save two characters of typing and the
whole thing isn't worth the change.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2012-September/thread.html#631501

Personally, I think the proposal has died a natural death, but if anyone
wants to resuscitate it, I encourage them to read the above thread before
doing so.

--
Steven