[Python-ideas] Remove tty module

Andrew Barnert abarnert at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 2 18:28:20 CEST 2013

On Aug 2, 2013, at 4:19, Clay Sweetser <clay.sweetser at gmail.com> wrote:
> but it would allow us to add a note at the top saying "If you're using looking for simple, more-portable raw I/O, see the consoleio module."
>
> Not to mention finally putting an obvious end to all those questions on stack overflow and friends, on how to do simple, non-blocking, cross platform console input.

Exactly. That's my motivation for getting involved here. Many novices want to know how to do something trivial like "press any key to continue", and having to explain the tty and termios modules, and all the stuff you have to go through to deal with edge cases that will affect even trivial programs, is painful. I would love to be able to give them a link to the docs and say:

    with consoleio.enabled():
        anykey = consoleio.getwch()