[Python-ideas] Pre-PEP: adding a statistics module to Python

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 02:10:06 CEST 2013

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Brian Curtin <brian at python.org> wrote:

> Like everything else we add, shouldn't a module live in the Python
> ecosystem, standout as the best of breed, and *then* be proposed for
> inclusion?

NumPy (and Numeric before it) has always stood out in the Python ecosystem.
 There have been several attempts to bring it into stdlib, but instead
various ideas served as an inspiration for new stdlib features.   (Most
recent such feature was memoryview.)

I like Steve's module, but I don't think it will compete well with NumPy in
the wild.  The only advantage feature-wise it will have ver NumPy is
immediate availability in the stdlib.  Implementation-wise, however, it has
many advantages: it is small, it focuses on correctness and compatibility
rather than speed, it is written in modern pure python, etc.  I don't think
these advantages will make any current NumPy users switch, but this is
exactly what I want to see in stdlib.

In short, +1 on the PEP.