[Python-ideas] Make test.test_support an alias to test.support

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 22:00:35 CEST 2013

09.08.13 00:34, Terry Reedy написав(ла):
> On 8/8/2013 10:05 AM, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
>> When backporting tests to 2.7 one of changes which you should do is
>> change "support" to "test_support". Sometimes this is only a change.
>
> You mean, 'the only change'. Yes, very annoying when it is the only change.

Yes, sorry for misspelling. At least a year ago in many backported from
3.2 to 2.7 tests it was the only change.

> While I strongly feel we should have done this, and some other aliases
> (like Tkinter as alias for tkinter, etc, and dump 'lib-tk') in 2.7.0, it
> seems too late for these changes now. The problem, as with any new 2.7
> feature, is that if 'support' were added in 2.7.6, test code that
> depends on 'support' would not run on 2.7.5-. While the contents of
> /test are 'internal use only', it seems to me that being able to run the
> test suite is a documented, public feature.

Sometimes we add new constants or functions in test_support.py in bugfix
releases. Of course some tests for 2.7.x will fail, hang or crash on
2.7.y where y < x because this tests added to test a bug or because they
use a new feature of test_support.py added between bugfix releases.