[Python-ideas] Deprecating rarely used str methods

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Aug 9 23:28:05 CEST 2013

On 09.08.2013 21:34, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
> 08.08.13 22:16, M.-A. Lemburg написав(ла):
>> I don't think any of the .format() alternatives you listed is
>> anywhere near as obvious as the methods :-)
>
> I confess that I be forced to look into documentation to write these examples. ;-)  It's because I
> don't use new style formatting very often. However C-style alternatives looks enough obvious to me.
>
>> If you have you ever typed on a keyboard with shift lock enabled,
>> you'd know what it's needed for ;-)
>
> Are .swapcase() swaps ";" and ":"? Or "q" and "й" (on my computers I use CapsLock to switch keyboard
> layout between English and Ukrainian)? ;-)

I guess it's one of those functions that someone invented as
example of an involutary string function for a tutorial late in
the 1980s. It then probably developed a life of its own ;-)

There's even a YouTube video on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPrqhB1dmJA

(the author obviously has a Java background ;-))

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 09 2013)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/