[Python-ideas] Pipe indentation

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Dec 10 16:47:40 CET 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 12:35 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull
<stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Chris Angelico writes:
>
>  > The upshot is that you get instant feedback if you ever get
>  > tabs/spaces wrong, and you get nice guides if you always indent
>  > consistently, and in between is shooting yourself in the foot
>  > anyway.
>
> Sounds like somebody's thought this through pretty carefully!  I'm an
> emacs guy, so unlikely to switch, but that description sounds like a
> good specification to start with if we add that kind of functionality
> to our python-mode.

Probably the first time significant thought was put into this was when
I designed the -t/-tt option for Python 2. I don't recall when that
was but it was in a very early Python 2 release. Everything else seems
just derivative to me -- either the same solution, or buggy. :-)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)