[Python-ideas] "maybe import"?

Amber Yust amber.yust at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 05:36:21 CET 2013

On Thu Dec 26 2013 at 7:40:19 PM, Bruce Leban <bruce at leapyear.org> wrote:

> I think you mean do the import if the name is unbound *or bound to None.* Otherwise,
> it doesn't work in the example you gave.

Yes, that is what I meant, sorry. Another option would be "not bound to
something that is not a module" - but I think "unbound or None" is probably
the most versatile option.

On Thu Dec 26 2013 at 8:08:45 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>
wrote:

> I'm not (yet) convinced of the need for this functionality, but if
> Python did gain this, I think I would prefer the colour of this
> bike-shed to be "perhaps import" rather than "maybe import".

Another option would be to re-use the 'or' keyword:

    from foo import bar or None

Where the bit after the 'or' simply specifies a default value to assign if
an ImportError occurs.