[Python-ideas] os.architecture

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 23:38:34 CET 2013

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Andrew Barnert <abarnert at yahoo.com> wrote:
> And if you're running a 32-bit python on 64-bit Windows you almost certainly want to download 64-bit libraries, right?

Actually, that one's a bit harder to work out. I'd say uname() would
say that it's a 64-bit system (of whatever architecture), so all you
have is the platform module and its methods of looking at
sys.executable - and the docs comments kinda scare me off using that
anywhere other than Linux (and even there, it looks inefficient). Is
there a best-practice way of finding out what binary libraries you
should be using for this process? Surely that should be a simple
thing?

ChrisA