[Python-ideas] Poll about -h,--help options

Stefan Drees stefan at drees.name
Mon Feb 18 11:59:13 CET 2013

On 18.02.13 08:40, Anatoly Techtonik wrote:
> ...Is it interesting to know if people expect -h to work as a --help
> equivalent by default?
>
> As it directly affects best practices of using Python in command line,
> can we run such poll on python.org <http://python.org>? I thought that
> this stuff is obvious, but it appears that it is not, so I'd like to see
> this usability study - it will be interesting for the Python community
> to know itself better.

Polls are funny. Why not :-?

In the gnu world (at least) appending " -h" MAY for some tools result in
output transformed to "human-readable", ie. tools like ls, du or df all
support the -h triggers meaning "human readable" output options.

Asking for help or versions seems to be not a global priority ;-)

All the best,
Stefan.