[Python-ideas] Introducing PEP 434 -- IDLE Enhancement Exception for All Branches

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 15:30:49 CET 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2013, at 04:10 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>>We could have a stable version of IDLE in the std lib, and another
>>version available on PyPI. The PyPI version could change more rapidly,
>>since it doesn't have to fit in with the release schedule for the std
>>lib. As the release schedule allows, the two branches could be merged.
>>
>>I have no idea if this has been tried before, but I think this would
>>work better for an application like IDLE than for a library.
>
> There's some precedence for this I think, e.g. mock, unittest2, email.

This was the plan for packaging vs distutils2, and I'll be proposing
something similar for distlib, too.

It can be a little tricky to manage at times, but you can do truly
experimental features in the PyPI version first with a warning that
they're experimental (e.g the various incarnations
contextlib.ExitStack went through when I first added it to
contextlib2), while bug fixes and features you're more confident about
can go directly into hg.python.org and then be published early through
the downstream project.

Cheers,
Nick.