[Python-ideas] Introducing PEP 434 -- IDLE Enhancement Exception for All Branches

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Feb 21 05:39:38 CET 2013

On 2/20/2013 8:44 PM, Andre Roberge wrote:
>  From what I have read on edu-sig, I believe it would be a huge mistake
> to remove IDLE from the Python standard library.

The idea was proposed 2 1/2 years ago, partly because IDLE was then
buggy and mostly not maintained. The idea was rejected in favor of
improving IDLE. Since then, many bugs have been quashed and idle is
getting active attention.

Do you have any idea what education users think about backporting IDLE
enhancements? Would they support the PEP? Or would they rather only get
true bugfixes in bugfix releases, even for IDLE?

--
Terry Jan Reedy