[Python-ideas] PEP for enum library type?

Joao S. O. Bueno jsbueno at python.org.br
Fri Feb 22 19:32:28 CET 2013

On 22 February 2013 15:21, Alex Stewart <foogod at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, February 22, 2013 4:53:27 AM UTC-8, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:
>>
>> Again, I thinnkt hat my 2002 code that expected a (1) working when it
>> got a (True) instead was a great, great thing. And I think that lots
>> of places where magical strings today ("str.decode" errors argument,
>> "compile" mode argument) should be lifted up to expect constants and
>> still keep working if one pass them the strings "replace" or "eval".
>

> Ok, first of all, nobody's suggesting that wouldn't work.  I'm not talking
> about comparing enums with base types (which I have no problem working like
> this), I'm talking specifically about comparing enums directly with other
> enums from a different category.
(big snip)

Ok. I do agree with your argumentation. And in fact,
my previous example of
----------
>>> disk_io.IDDLE == "iddle"
True
>>> network.IDDLE == "iddle"
True
>>> disk_io.IDDLE == network.IDDLE
False
-----
If the final behavior in some cases is this, no one will get harmed.
We alread hav e NaN == Nan -> False  and the language does
not explode. :-)

So, indeed - values in distinct enums should compare differently,
even if they compare equal to their underlying value.

(sorry for making you write the extensive e-mail)

  js
 -><-