[Python-ideas] PEP for issue2292, "Missing *-unpacking generalizations"

Joshua Landau joshua.landau.ws at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 01:55:46 CEST 2013

On 7 July 2013 00:34, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> What do yo mean by Status Quo? No version of Python supports multiple
> *args or a regular positional arg after *args or after kw=arg.
>
> The only flexibility that was added "recently" (in 2.6) is that kw=arg
> may now follow *args.

It's the one that changes the least -- given that people seem to have
accepted [1] multiple unpacking, and that you seem to have already (in
the issue tracker) accepted [2] "foo(*a, b, c)"¹, should we continue
with the restriction that "Keyword-arguments must follow positional
arguments, and ``**`` unpackings must also follow ``*`` unpackings"?

That has the fewest changes, but I believe that given [1] and [2] that
these restrictions are either insufficient (hence the rejected
"Original Proposal" from the PEP) or confusing (hence the additional
"Looser rulings").

aka. I didn't mean Status Quo as "change nothing", but "change nothing
other than those two things we already seem to like".

¹ And, by extension, one could also assume you support "foo(**a, b=...)"