[Python-ideas] Fast sum summary [was Re: Fast sum() for non-numbers - why so much worries?]

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 10:23:09 CEST 2013

On 12 July 2013 02:12, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

> While you have your cap on, if you're going to special-case lists, then
> why not strings too (just passing them on to "".join())?

And of course, that specific question was debated, and the decision taken
to go with what we have now, when sum was first introduced.

Someone who is arguing for this proposal needs to go back and research that
decision, and confirm that the reasons discussed then no longer apply. I
suspect many of them still do.

Paul