[Python-ideas] float('∞')=float('inf')

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Jul 13 12:48:09 CEST 2013

On 13/07/13 16:32, Vernon D. Cole wrote:
> For the benefit of those who read this in ASCII, I will include Unicode
> translations in the following. I prefer code which is readable in ASCII

[rant]
It's 2013, not 1963. When oh when are we going to catch up with technology that I had on my Mac in 1984???

Oh, another thing... even in 1963, the ASCII standard was obsolete, since you cannot represent standard American characters in common use in 1963 such as ¢. Ironically, you cannot even say "Copyright © 1963 American Standards Association" in ASCII.

I am aware of the reasons for the limitations on ASCII, but its time is long, long gone. It needs to die in peace.

[/rant]

Nice analysis of the Roman numerals issue though. Thanks for that.

(P.S. are you aware that the practice of subtracting Roman numerals on the left was a medieval innovation, and not one that the ancient Romans themselves did?)

--
Steven