[Python-ideas] float('∞')=float('inf')

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Sun Jul 14 14:55:46 CEST 2013

On 7/14/2013 7:08 AM, Philipp A. wrote:
> 2013/7/14 Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com
> <mailto:storchaka at gmail.com>>
>
>     ∞ is not a use-case.
>

> it is. OP has it in his/her data.

Looking back through the many emails about this so far, I didn't see
where the OP explained why he wanted this to work.  Zaur Shibzukhov
never said he had it in his data, he said, "Is it good idea to
allow float('∞') to be float('inf') in python?" and, "Because infinity
is special case of numbers. Unicode standard have regular infinity
symbol and it's natural to represent inifinity as ∞."

As near as I can tell, we don't have an actual use case yet.

--Ned.