[Python-ideas] Arbitrary constants in ASTs

Jonathan Brandvein jon.brandvein at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 04:11:57 CEST 2013

> As someone who's re-implemented this myself (not as performantly as a
dedicated opcode, but what the hell) using hygienic macros (
https://github.com/lihaoyi/macropy#interned)

Oh, so you're the macropy guy! :) I remember seeing your library, and I
have meant to give it a thorough look one of these days. I think there's
some overlap between what you do, and the shortcuts I use to make AST
manipulations more palatable in my programming.

> How many other people in the world are doing AST manipulations to want
this? I know I could use it, but I suspect I'm part of a very (very) small
pool of developers who would use this kind of functionality.

True, the gain might not be worth the developer effort. But if people are
directly manipulating ASTs in the first place, they may find this useful.

My work is on a static transformation for implementing set comprehensions
efficiently. A friend of mine is working on a distributed programming
environment that is based on Python and gets compiled to Python code.
Though, I suppose my sample is biased since I happen to be in a language
research lab. ;)

Jon