[Python-ideas] Enhance definition of functions

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Jul 31 07:20:25 CEST 2013

On 31/07/13 11:41, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 7/30/2013 11:59 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>
>> "Never" is a long time. AFAIK the main reason why Python doesn't have
>> multi-line lambda's is that nobody has proposed a suitable syntax yet
>> (and not for lack of trying, the archives of this list and python-dev
>> contain a lot of proposals that were found lacking).
>
> There is also the fact that a generic .__name__ attribute of '<lambda>' is inferior to a possibly unique and meaningful name. This is not just in tracebacks. Consider
>    [<built-in function sin>, <built-in function cos>]
> versus
>    [<function <lambda> at 0x0000000003470B70>, <function <lambda> at 0x0000000003470BF8>]

True, but if we're going to hypothesize nice syntax for multi-line lambdas, it's not much harder to imagine that there's also nice syntax to give them a name and a doc string at the same time :-)

I-don't-want-much-just-multi-line-lambda-and-ultimate-power-ly yr's,

--
Steven
(and I don't care that much about multi-line lambda)