[Python-ideas] Stdlib YAML evolution (Was: PEP 426, YAML in the stdlib and implementation discovery)

Andrew Barnert abarnert at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 3 01:53:55 CEST 2013

From: anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 2, 2013 11:23 AM

>FWIW, I am +1 on for the ability to read YAML based configs Python
>without dependencies, but waiting for several years is hard.

With all due respect, I don't think you've read even a one-sentence description of YAML, so your entire post is nonsense.

The first sentence of the abstract says, "YAML… is a…data serialization language designed around the common native data types of agile programming languages." So, your idea that we shouldn't use it for serialization, and shouldn't map it to native Python data types, is ridiculous.

You specifically suggest mapping YAML to XML so we can treat it as a structured document. From the "Relation to XML" section: "YAML is primarily a data serialization language. XML was… designed to support structured documentation."

You suggest that we shouldn't build all of YAML, just some bare-minimum subset that's good enough to get started. JSON is already _more_ than a bare-minimum subset of YAML, so we're already done.

But you'd also like some data-driven way to extend this. YAML has already designed exactly that. Once you have the core schema, you can add new types, and the syntax for those types is data-driven (although the semantics are really only defined in hand-wavy English and probably require code to implement, but I'm not sure how you expect your proposal to be any different, unless you're proposing something like XML Schema). So, either the necessary subset of YAML you want is the entire spec, or you want to do an equal amount of work building something just as complex but not actually YAML.

The idea of building a useful subset of YAML isn't a bad one. But the way to do that is to go through the features of YAML that JSON doesn't have, and decide which ones you want. For example, YAML with the core schema, but no aliases, no plain strings, and no explicit tags is basically JSON with indented block structure, raw strings, and useful synonyms for key constants (so you can write True instead of true). You could even carefully import a few useful definitions from the type library as long as they're unambiguous (e.g., timestamp). That gives you most of the advantages of YAML that don't bring any safety risks, and its output would be interpretable as full YAML, and it might be a little easier to implement than the full spec. But that has very little to do with your proposal. In particular, leaving out the data-driven features of YAML is what makes it safe and simple.

Meanwhile, I think what you actually want is XSLT processors to convert YAML to and from XML. Fortunately, the YAML community is already working on that at http://www.yaml.org/xml. Then you don't need any new Python code at all; just convert your YAML to XML and use whichever XML library (in the stdlib or not), and you're done.