[Python-ideas] Loaded questions

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Jun 3 05:14:57 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 7:11 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> When will the stdlib get a decent iterator/stream-based JSON API?

As a reminder, a loaded question is not a good way to suggest a new
feature. If you want a feature, great. If you don't feel you have the
skills to implement it, you can still play*. But if you want a
feature, please say something like "I think it would be cool if the
stdlib had X" and we can discuss whether we all feel the same way. To
most people, "when will the stdlib get a decent X" reads as either
implying "the stdlib has a lousy X" or "the stdlib is stupid (or
whatever negative adjective) for not having X." And many of the folks
here who together have made the stdlib what it is and never missed X
will feel offended. Do you think it is a good thing to start a request
by offending the person you are asking? (Don't answer. :-)

It's possible you didn't mean this at all. Likely, even. So next time,
think about how the words you use might be interpreted by others, and
leave your loaded questions at home. Please. :-)

* Though if nobody can be found who wants a feature badly enough to
implement it, it won't happen, and you shouldn't complain about it --
we're all volunteers here, and nobody has enough time to implement
every desirable feature.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)