[Python-ideas] PEP 426, YAML in the stdlib and implementation discovery

Philipp A. flying-sheep at web.de
Tue Jun 4 16:07:17 CEST 2013

i think we should ask the main author of PyYAML if we could put a modified
version of it into the stdlib. UNfortunately i don’t know how to contact
him, since neither on github <https://github.com/xitology> nor on
bitbucket<https://bitbucket.org/xi>seems to be his mail address, and
he doesn’t seem to be active enough there
that abitbucket message makes sense.

PyYAML might not implement YAML 1.2 fully on paper, but the most useful
part of 1.2 (parsing arbitrary JSON) works flawlessly.

If we may use it, we should tweak it to suit our to-be-specified API: i
think we all agree after the ruby debacle that calling plain load() should
be the safe variant. also, since YAML has the concept of document streams,
i’d propose the addition of load_iter() which yields documents as soon as
they have finished arriving.