[Python-ideas] applying the PSF Code of Conduct to this mailing list

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Jun 4 20:34:53 CEST 2013

Titus and I have discussed it and we have decided to apply the PSF's Code
of Conduct (http://hg.python.org/coc) to this mailing list. In a nutshell
everyone should be open, respectful, and considerate to each other, i.e.
don't be rude.

If you think someone is not following the CoC, either publicly let them
know you think they are not (obviously do this politely; publicly notifying
someone is to help others on the list understand what may be considered
inappropriate behaviour, not to chastise them in front of a crowd) or email
python-ideas-owner@ privately with a link to the email in question from the
archives and we will handle it w/o disclosing who brought forward the
complaint.

Anyone found repeatedly not following the CoC will be banned from the list.
You can always ask to be allowed back on based on the discretion of the
list owners.

Because this is a new policy, no one is starting with any strikes against
them. Everyone is assumed to have been polite and on good terms up to this
point.

In the 6.5 year history of this list there is possibly only one instance
where this would have really come into play in removing someone from this
list so this isn't expected to be used very often. But we felt we wanted
something in place to remind folks that we expect all subscribers to be
respectful of one another and to have something to use as a guideline for
removals if it came to that.