[Python-ideas] Status of PyYAML - Re: Proposal for closing ticket pyyaml/issue/11

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Jun 5 16:49:37 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Kirill Simonov <xi at resolvent.net> wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> I'm cross-posting this to the python-ideas list.
>
> Regarding the status of PyYAML -- after 10 releases over 6 years,
> I consider it stable enough so that I don't need to pay much attention
> to it anymore.  I'm migrating the project, including the issues
> database, from Trac to Bitbucket, but haven't finished it yet since
> Bitbucket added issues import/export API only a month ago and I didn't
> have a change to look at it.
>
> On discussion on python-ideas, I looked through it, but I'm not sure how I
> could contribute.  Does it make sense to have YAML support in
> stdlib?  Definitely, the format is popular enough and has some unique
> advantages over other options.
>
> But to the next question, how it should be done, I don't have a good
> answer.  Would you include PyYAML+libyaml directly into the stdlib?
> It's a big chunk of C, Python and Pyrex/Cython code and I doubt core
> developers are willing to accept it.  Besides, PyYAML API was designed
> for Python 2.3 and may feel outdated for Python 3.5.  So you need to
> rewrite low-level parsing and emitting code to C+Python API and design
> a new high-level extension API, but who's going to do all this work?

And that's the trick. =) If PyYAML was pulled into the stdlib presumably it
would be you, Kirill. And development would need to move to python-dev and
not be externally maintained (although you can make external releases). We
also don't use Cython in Python itself so that could would not get pulled
in.

The basic requirements are outlined at
http://docs.python.org/devguide/stdlibchanges.html

-Brett