[Python-ideas] applying the PSF Code of Conduct to this mailing list

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 02:26:01 CEST 2013

On 6/5/13, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On 05/06/13 09:31, David Mertz wrote:
>> My understanding is that Brett and Titus are the list maintainers.
>
> Thanks David, but I misworded the question. Rather than asking *who*, I
> should have asked why Brett and Titus *alone* are making this decision.
>
> Please someone correct me if I am misinformed, but I don't believe that this
> is a private mailing list "owned" by Brett and Titus, emphasis on the
> "private" part. As maintainers, they maintain the list on behalf of the
> community, they are not owners who get to unilaterally set policy for it.

That is not the community standard on the internet.  The standard is
that people who create a list are the de facto policy setters, mostly
because anyone else can create their own list if they don't like the
policies.

Unless there's a severe problem with the policy, it would be
considered rude to object to the volunteers who maintain the list (and
tacit, if not actual, "owners"), since you are free to start your own.

> But even if I am wrong, and Brett and Titus are owners in the sense that
> they, and they alone, get to decide what happens with this list, it is
> hardly open, respectful or considerate to impose this sort of sort of policy
> change on the list without giving members the opportunity to express their
> thoughts on the matter first.

If you want this kind of governance here for the 'net, consider
instead joining the US government where these political questions have
been being hashed out for about 400 years.
--
MarkJ
Tacoma, Washington