[Python-ideas] applying the PSF Code of Conduct to this mailing list

Haoyi Li haoyi.sg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 02:24:51 CEST 2013

> This list is not a democracy.  If you (generic you) don't like the
changes that are made, vote with your feet (fingers?) and create your own
mailing list.

I agree with the fact that the list is not a democracy, and technically the
list maintainers can do whatever they want, and I even think this decision
is the right thing to do.

Regardless, I believe that to some extent this list (like many similar
lists) belongs to the community, and that generally a decision like this
should be put out to air before becoming final. Saying "yeah GTFO if you
don't like it" is perfectly valid, but isn't very conducive to building a
friendly, collaborative and welcoming environment.

Even if in the end the decision is the same, I think (some) people will
generally be much happier for the feeling of involvement, and feeling that
their opinion is valued. I support Steven because I believe that we should
discuss issues we disagree with, rather than just immediately removing
ourselves from the community at the slightest disagreement.

It make not make any difference from an optimization/correctness point of
view, but people generally feel happier when they get a heads up and they
can talk about something before it actually happens.

-Haoyi