[Python-ideas] applying the PSF Code of Conduct to this mailing list

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Thu Jun 6 03:34:35 CEST 2013

As I said, Brett and Titus should be the ones making this decision because
they are the list maintainers.  If you wish to maintain a list with
different rules, that is your prerogative.  I think they do a good job with
this one (although I haven't subscribed for very long), and it is their
decision alone.  They should unilaterally set policy, but especially since
this is so obviously in keeping with voted policy of the PSF as a whole
(which *is* democratic, in a certain way).

I dislike the facile notion of "democracy" that some people advocate about
things like this.  Democracy has little place in FLOSS.  There are simply
volunteers who choose to put in whatever specific efforts they can and wish
to.  Just as we don't "democratically vote a patch" to the Python language
(but rather defer, ultimately, to the BDFL), a mailing list is a thing that
specific people have taken responsibility for.