[Python-ideas] Add \e escape code

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 08:58:17 CEST 2013

11.06.13 23:21, M.-A. Lemburg написав(ла):
> I'm not saying that it's useful to rely on Python's behavior,
> only that any such change has the potential to break perfectly
> working code.
>
> The last time we changed the escape code was for the introduction
> of Unicode string literals. That was 13 years ago. And we carefully
> checked what other languages were using for Unicode at the time.

Note that in the same time \u means "Titlecase next character" and \U
means "Uppercase till \E" in Perl. "Conforming with other languages"
argument is not very suitable in this particular case.

I'm -0.5. On one hand, I'm not worrying about backward compatibility, --
behavior of \e is not promised once for all, and there are no good
reasons to use it (unlikely to backslashing non-letters). On other
hands, it adds complexity (look at mess of dozens special escapes in
Perl), the range of applications for this feature is enough narrow, and
there are good alternatives (\x1b for shortness and \N{ESCAPE} for
mnemonicity).