[Python-ideas] Adding zope.testrunner test selections to unittest

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Sat Jun 22 01:39:22 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> (Maybe this should better go to the TIP mailing list?)
>
> One of the last things from zope.testrunner that I really rely on is its
> highly flexible support for test selection:
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/zope.testrunner/4.4.0#test-selection
>
> Michael and I talked briefly about adding something like this to unittest's
> discover, where --pattern is a pale ghost of related functionality.
>
> Has anybody looked into this before?  Is it something that we could
> feasibly
> add to Python 3.4?  (and/or unittest2)

That seems like a good idea.  Today's test selection is rather... bare
bones:

unittest/main.py has this to say about it:

            elif len(args) > 0:
                self.testNames = args

Granted I'm at the point where I generally don't bother selecting tests and
just run an entire unittest file, commenting things I don't need out of the
test file while working on a specific issue if its a big one. I'd stop the
stupid commenting out trick if i could select from the command line with
much less typing or pasting.

-gps