[Python-ideas] Adding zope.testrunner test selections to unittest

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sat Jun 22 02:17:12 CEST 2013

On 22 June 2013 12:00, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 12:41:33 -0400
> Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>> (Maybe this should better go to the TIP mailing list?)
>>
>> One of the last things from zope.testrunner that I really rely on is its
>> highly flexible support for test selection:
>>
>> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/zope.testrunner/4.4.0#test-selection
>
> That doesn't sound very usable to me. Why are there multiple options
> for the same thing? I'd like to specify tests by name or pattern
> regardless of whether the matched thing is a package, module, class or
> method.

Yup, I've found the following things to be very useful:
 - discovery and selection are separate concerns : don't conflate them
 - regex matching on test id is super useful (and can do just about anything)
 - being able to load a list of precise matches from a file is very
useful for automation

I'd be happy to put a patch up for unittest for the above - I've been
meaning to do so anyhow.

-Rob
--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>