[Python-ideas] [Suspected Spam] Re: Short form for keyword arguments and dicts

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Mon Jun 24 19:58:17 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 02:50:27AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Andrew McNabb writes:
>
>  > I've seen people use an awful workaround for this:
>  >
>  > >>> print('{spam} and {eggs}'.format(locals()))
>  >
>  > While it looks a little magical, the proposed syntax would be an
>  > improvement (especially when there are many arguments):
>  >
>  > >>> print('{spam} and {eggs}'.format(=spam, =eggs))
>
> You're proposing that the "awful" workaround be made magical, builtin,
> and available to be used in any situation whether appropriate or not?

No, I'm not.  That would look like this:

>>> print('{spam} and {eggs}'.format())

And it would be an extraordinarily bad idea.  However, the OP proposed
something else, so I'm not sure how relevant this is.

I'm not even sure I like it, but many of the responses have denied the
existence of the use case rather than criticizing the solution.

> I'll take the explicit use of locals any time.

I don't think anyone likes the idea of magically passing locals into all
function calls.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/