[Python-ideas] Short form for keyword arguments and dicts

Jared Grubb jared.grubb at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 05:37:52 CEST 2013

On Jun 24, 2013, at 17:40, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> I agree that wanting to using keyword arguments everywhere
> is excessive. But I do sympathise with the desire to improve
> DRY in this area. While the actual number of occasions I've
> encountered this sort of thing mightn't be very high, they
> stick in my mind as being particularly annoying.

Brandon Rhodes gave a nice presentation at Pycon this year on naming where he argued that "well-factored nouns" can help make code more readable... and enabling the above pattern would make it easier to do what he suggests sometimes. (For those that missed it: http://pyvideo.org/video/1676/the-naming-of-ducks-where-dynamic-types-meet-sma, starting about 08:20 through 11:00 or so, although I think the whole talk was great).

I'm not saying that Python needs syntax for this, but I agree: the few times where I've had it come up, it is annoying.

Jared