[Python-ideas] Is this PEP-able? for X in ListY while conditionZ:

Anders Hovmöller boxed at killingar.net
Tue Jun 25 20:22:10 CEST 2013

>  MISRA-C 1998  [No gotos, no breaks (except in switches), no continues]
> MISRA-C 2004  [No gotos, no continues, one break per loop (and also the
> switches)]
> MISRA-C 2012  [Some gotos are now allowed!]
>
>  C is not python, but this translated to the teaching community and here
> we are.
>
>  Carried forward into python:
> http://www.csee.umbc.edu/courses/201/spring13/standards.shtml
>
>  In practice, many many students are being told to avoid break/continue.
>
> Maybe something from the Python leadership saying breaks are fine?  Given
> their lack of
> support for gotos it's easy to see how others might feel breaks and
> continues are bad as well,
> even in Python.

What more support do we need to show than the fact that the keywords break
and continue exists in the language and goto does not? Would some code
written by Guido suffice? On his blog
http://neopythonic.blogspot.comthere's an example of code he has
written with a break without even having
to search through the archive.