[Python-ideas] OrderedDict for kwargs and class statement namespace

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 00:41:28 CET 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 8:14 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> And it also has to be reviewed in deep.
> To quote you: "The memory-related issues are pushing well past my
> experience".

Agreed and I appreciate your concern, genuinely.  I won't apologize
for not having experience in various areas, though I recognize the
extra caution it requires.  However, I will continue to take
opportunities to expand my experience--particularly working on things
that others have considered to be good ideas but which no one has
advanced.  I will continue to do this even if it's slow going and even
if my effort eventually bears no fruit other than the experience of
having walked that path.  Ultimately my goal is to be confident that
my fellow stewards feel my contributions are helping Python get
better.

With OrderedDict, I have no illusions of getting everything done
quickly, but do feel that the the bulk of the coding is wrapping up.
I suppose that in more experienced hands it would be done quickly, but
I'm not asking for that.  Rather, I want to get a sense of the
applicability of OrderedDict to Python's internals since it would be
available as a built-in type.  I've presented what I consider as two
useful internal applications but would certainly like to know what you
think.

-eric