[Python-ideas] BufferedIO and detach

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Mar 4 22:50:01 CET 2013

On 5 March 2013 10:32, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 10:29:35 +1300
> Robert Collins
> <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > How about the fileno() method?
>>
>> What about it? Do you mean 'non-blocking mode is entirely defined by
>> the OS level read() behaviour and there is no tracking of that state
>> higher up' ? If so cool (and we should document that somewhere).
>
> Yes, I mean that :-) You're right, it should be documented.
>
>> I'll
>> need to go lookup the windows equivalent to FCNTL, and I still think
>> the current hidden buffer status is problematic.
>
> Windows has no notion of non-blocking streams, except for sockets.

Hmm, I know the libc emulation layer doesn't - but
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms684961%28VS.85%29.aspx does
non-blocking IO (for stdin specifically) - we should be able to hook
that in, in principle...  and disk files can do nonblocking with
overlapped IO (though that is a wholly different beast and clearly
offtopic :)).

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>