[Python-ideas] Updated PEP 428 (pathlib)

Jan Kaliszewski zuo at chopin.edu.pl
Tue Mar 5 00:33:48 CET 2013

1. Ad:
     >>> PurePosixPath('/usr/bin/python').relative('/etc')
     Traceback (most recent call last):
     ValueError: ...

Shouldn't this particular operation return

2. 03.03.2013 15:12, Charles-François Natali wrote:

>> Yes. We could call it
>> "root" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_%28linguistics%29) but in
>> this context it would be confusing. Also, it's not exactly the root
>> since as you point there can still be a remaining suffix.
> Indeed, "root" would be even more confusing.
>> There's "stem", too (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_stem). With
>> the
>> same provision about not being the actual stem.
> Also, it doesn't sound familiar (at least to me).
> How about "rootname", or "stripped_name" (the last one is a little
> too long)?

Maybe simply "stripped"? Or "stemname"? Or "unsuffixed"?...

Anyway "basename" is IMHO a bad idea because in os.path it is already
used for something completely different.