[Python-ideas] Official MySQL module

Dustin J. Mitchell dustin at v.igoro.us
Thu Mar 7 21:59:27 CET 2013

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Thomas Allen <jsbfox at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, there! Do you plan to add an official module for connecting to MySQL
> databases? Existing third-party modules are bad-documented or no longer
> maintained... That's kinda strange, that such a nice language doesn't have
> it yet.

Where would such a module come from?  The PSF can't wave a magic
"official" flag and will software into existence.  Someone needs to
write it.

I suspect from your use of the term "third party", that you come from
the world of proprietary software.  In OSS, we're all mutual third
parties.

There are several nice MySQL bindings out there.  Just about everyone
uses Python-MySQL, but I've recently given my heart to PyMySQL, since
it's pure python and thus a lot easier to install.  If I recall from
the SQLAlchemy docs, there are a few others out there.  So I suspect
that your basic premise is incorrect: there's lots of good options out
there, and in fact several tools to abstract the differences between
them (SQLAlchemy being my choice).  I don't think the community would
be well-served by selecting one as the default implementation.

Dustin