[Python-ideas] Official MySQL module

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Thu Mar 7 22:41:30 CET 2013

On 3/7/2013 4:16 PM, David Mertz wrote:
> I disagree moderately with Dustin.  Obviously, it is true that a magic
> wand doesn't produce a standard-library module.  However, having support
> for MySQL/MariaDB (and PostgreSQL) in the standard library would be
> desirable.  This would bring MySQL support to the same level as we have
> for SQLite3.
>
> In particular, I would NOT WANT such standard library support to include
> any ORM layer to it; I feel like those should remain as third-party
> tools (and compete on their various merits).  But the basic level of
> providing a *binding* feels like something desirable (and specifically,
> a binding that was as close to a drop-in substitute for 'sqlite3' as
> possible).

I agree with David on both points.

- Surely a MySQL binding is a battery we should consider including, if
an author were to offer it to us. I have no experience with them, so I
can't offer any advice on which is best.

- We don't want to include an ORM. It seems this space is still evolving
rapidly. At least, every time I upgrade SQLAlchemy (which I love) it
breaks some code.

Eric.

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin at v.igoro.us
> <mailto:dustin at v.igoro.us>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Thomas Allen <jsbfox at gmail.com
>     <mailto:jsbfox at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > Hi, there! Do you plan to add an official module for connecting to
>     MySQL
>     > databases? Existing third-party modules are bad-documented or no
>     longer
>     > maintained... That's kinda strange, that such a nice language
>     doesn't have
>     > it yet.
>
>     Where would such a module come from?  The PSF can't wave a magic
>     "official" flag and will software into existence.  Someone needs to
>     write it.
>
>     I suspect from your use of the term "third party", that you come from
>     the world of proprietary software.  In OSS, we're all mutual third
>     parties.
>
>     There are several nice MySQL bindings out there.  Just about everyone
>     uses Python-MySQL, but I've recently given my heart to PyMySQL, since
>     it's pure python and thus a lot easier to install.  If I recall from
>     the SQLAlchemy docs, there are a few others out there.  So I suspect
>     that your basic premise is incorrect: there's lots of good options out
>     there, and in fact several tools to abstract the differences between
>     them (SQLAlchemy being my choice).  I don't think the community would
>     be well-served by selecting one as the default implementation.
>
>     Dustin
>

> --
> Keeping medicines from the bloodstreams of the sick; food
> from the bellies of the hungry; books from the hands of the
> uneducated; technology from the underdeveloped; and putting
> advocates of freedom in prisons.  Intellectual property is
> to the 21st century what the slave trade was to the 16th.

Eric.