[Python-ideas] Official MySQL module

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Mar 8 21:06:35 CET 2013

> But anyway, Python's standard library (unlike GNU) does not have an ax
> to grind about what software should or should not be supported from an
> ethical perspective. It is all about what is useful to a large enough
> number of Python users, and what is feasible given the available
> volunteer power and the technical properties of the software in
> question.

Given that we have a growing list of open issues, now at 3800 (1600
behavior, 1200 enhancement*, 600 not selected (doc?), 400 other), I
think perhaps we are already beyond what the current volunteers can handle.

* I think the majority of these should either be closed or referred to
this list, as they are essentially dead without getting support here.

In any case, with Guido having said he is open to the possibility of a
mysql client module, and others having expressed opinions on the
abstract idea, pro and con, it seems to me that the next step is a
concrete proposal.

--
Terry Jan Reedy