[Python-ideas] PEP XXX - Competitor with PEP 435: Adding an enum type to the Python standard library

Alex Stewart foogod at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 22:31:29 CET 2013

Sigh..

I apologize for coming back in a bit late and still not really up to speed,
but various real-world things ended up sidetracking me and over the past
week or two and I haven't been able to spend as much time here as I'd like
to..

I haven't yet had a chance to read the proposed PEP, but based on the
discussions I'm seeing, I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that I
thought we had already managed to come together with a pretty common list
of properties that we all agreed on for enum-like things in Python, and I
had started putting together a sample implementation based on those
principles (which I never really heard anybody say anything substantially
bad about, so I assumed it was sorta on the right track) and now it sounds
like we're going off in significantly different directions again, and I'm
not sure why.  If this is in fact the case, it seems to me that crafting
yet another PEP which doesn't mesh with half the community's expectations
is not really useful and is probably premature, and we should probably go
back to talking more about conceptually what we're actually trying to
accomplish here first.

FYI, I have actually been working on a newer version of my enum
implementation which includes support for compound enums (i.e. "oring" enum
values together), and I believe covers almost all of the properties that
I've heard people express a desire for on this list, and avoids most of the
things people seem to have major issues with, so I would be interested to
know if people actually have problems with it.  I'll see if I can get it
cleaned up a bit and up on github in the next day or two so folks at least
have an idea of how I've been looking at this stuff and can comment on what
they think..

Regarding the issue of bitmask-enums, I do agree that they are common
enough in various APIs that it is important that we be able to support them
easily.  *However,* I have yet to see how or why they are actually
different than int-enums in any practical way.  I don't see why we need to
treat them as a different category at all and I see no value in doing so.
 They're all just* *int-enums.  Problem solved.

(I might have some thoughts on some of the rest of this stuff too, but I
want to try to find a bit of time and read up on the new proposed-PEP and
discussions before I respond further..)

--Alex