[Python-ideas] Thoughts on the future of concurrency in Python: PEP 3148

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 22:46:33 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 8:20 AM, Rob Cliffe <rob.cliffe at btinternet.com> wrote:
> With great respect, Guido, something on the lines of [I exaggerate to make
> the point clear, no offence intended] "The average application programmer
> needn't trouble his pretty little head about this" feels a bit patronising.

But that's no different from all the other things that the average
Python programmer need not worry about, yet which lower-level coders
(eg the developers of Pythons themselves) do - for instance, list
growth factors, platform-specific APIs (in most cases), and native
integer and pointer sizes. Is it patronising to imply that Python
coders need not trouble themselves about those? Certainly not, that's
why high level languages exist!

My understanding of Guido's statement is that callbacks are just part
of the low-level implementation of futures.

ChrisA