[Python-ideas] Message passing syntax for objects

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 05:46:26 CET 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM, Mark Janssen <dreamingforward at gmail.com> wrote:
> Continuing on this thread, there would be a new bunch of behaviors to
> be defined.  Since "everything is an object", there can now be a
> standard way to define the *next* common abstraction of "every object
> interacts with other objects".  And going with my suggestion of
> defining >> and << operators, I'm going to explore the concept
> further....
> Each object has to figure out how it will receive things from outside
> of it.  Things it can't handle (a string sent to an int) just have to
> be dropped to some other space, much like stderr does within the O.S.

I guess here's the idea I'm getting at.  As a programming language
paradigm, OOP has to evolve -- it still has too much dependency on
number-crunching and the mathematical operators still dominate.

But a better abstraction to wrap the OOP paradigm around is
*message-passing* rather than *arithmetic*.  And having in/out
operators on objects is just *way cool*.

mark