[Python-ideas] PEP: Extended stat_result (First Draft)

Pieter Nagel pieter at nagel.co.za
Mon May 6 19:31:08 CEST 2013

On Mon, 2013-05-06 at 17:14 +0100, MRAB wrote:

> Some of the names seem too long for me.

Neither my nor your naming preference is relevant here, although I
personally prefer long names over abbreviations - the time spent writing
code in infinitesimal compared to the time reading, debugging, extending
and maintaining it.

But at issue here is which names fit with Guido's vision for the stdlib.
PEP 8 says "All identifiers in the Python standard library... SHOULD use
English words wherever feasible (in many cases, abbreviations and
technical terms are used which aren't English)". This is a bit
ambiguous, but I understand the parentheses to refer to a practice that
Guido would like to stopped, by using English words instead.

> Do we really need 2 names for the same thing? No.

So you said twice, but I can not do much with any feedback if it is
expressed as a mere assertion.

I gave my rationale for doing so in the PEP. If you disagree, please
give a rationale of your own.

--
Pieter Nagel