[Python-ideas] PEP: Extended stat_result (First Draft)

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Mon May 6 20:36:32 CEST 2013

On 05/06/2013 11:33 AM, Pieter Nagel wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-05-06 at 20:55 +0400, Oleg Broytman wrote:
>
>>    Shouldn't it be called filemode()? I see you are fond of underscores
>> but Python style guides discourage using them AFAIK.
>
> Actually, PEP 8 says "Function names should be lowercase, with words
> separated by underscores as necessary to improve readability."

I interpret "as necessary to improve readability" to actually discourage
underscores: use them only when _necessary_ for readability, else leave
them out. It does not say "separate all words with underscores."

So I think this is consistent with actual stdlib usage, though obviously
there's a lot of interpretative leeway in what is "necessary for
readability."

Carl