[Python-ideas] external editor commands in python REPL

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon May 13 18:55:42 CEST 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Yury Selivanov <yselivanov.ml at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 2013-05-13, at 12:39 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>
> > Have you seen IPython?
>
> Of course.  Tried it multiple times, however, can't get used to it.

It would have been useful if you had mentioned that in your first post.
Work claiming to break new ground should always carefully compare with
existing solutions.

> The idea is to make the standard REPL a bit more convenient, because
> for most users it's probably already has enough features.  But writing
> multiline code in current REPL is a bit harder than it should be.

Maybe. Then again, there are already other solutions, and if you say you
don't like those, well, others do like them, and plenty of others are also
perfectly happy with the standard REPL.

How long have you worked on your shell.py? Do you think that by the time
Python 3.4 comes out you won't have added a host of other additional
conveniences? Or that maybe you've lost interest, and donated a module to
the standard library that no-one cares to maintain?

Note that I'm not even debating the specific features you're proposing --
I'm just trying to explain to you that your proposal is not ready for
stdlib inclusion, and possibly never will be.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)